You don't have to be directly hit by a tornado in Missouri to experience damage. Taking some time to prepare could save you thousands of dollars and hours of clean-up.
Know What Your Insurance Covers and How Much You Need
In an average year, 800 are reported nationwide, but in April of 2011 alone, 875 tornadoes were reported. Oftentimes, homes and businesses close to a tornado are damaged or destroyed by wind, rain and flying debris. Check with us to see if your insurance policy covers repair or rebuilding costs.
If you can’t live in your home, see if your policy will pay additional living expenses. We can review your policy for detailed coverage explanations.
Review your insurance policy once a year to make sure you have enough coverage to rebuild based on current construction costs. Bill White Insurance recommends you work with an independent building contractor to get a precise estimate, and make sure you chat with us about your business or home’s unique features.
You Can Take Action to Reduce Damage
You can’t make your home or business tornado-proof, but you can take steps that improve the odds of surviving the high winds. Ideally, you may want to call on professionals for the more technical jobs.
- Start at the top – your roof. Fix any areas that need repair. If you are planning to replace your roof, select materials that are designed to withstand high winds.
- If you are planning to replace your windows, select impact-resistant window systems, which have a much better chance of surviving a major windstorm.
- Anchor door frames securely to wall framing. Make certain your doors have at least three hinges and a deadbolt security lock with a bolt at least one inch long.
If a Tornado is Headed Your Way
- If you are in a building, move to an underground shelter, an interior room or a hallway on the lowest floor.
- Stay away from windows and corners.
- If you’re in your car, get out immediately and find safe shelter or lie flat in a ditch. Do not take shelter under an overpass or bridge.
- Flying debris causes most injuries and fatalities, so use your arms to protect your head and neck.
Check out some of these additional resources or let Bill White Insurance find the right insurance protection for you:
It’s necessary to get the right insurance protection for you. For more information on your policy or if you’d like to ask about additional coverage, please contact us or give us a call at 417-881-0124.